Some time ago, I took a break from the long-awaited Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix, which wasn’t released in my part of the globe until about a decade after its release in Japan. While I enjoyed the game immensely, I never could come up with a good topic in order to write about it, so I put off a post for the game. You see, I beat the game, but I still had more extras to complete, and I was growing a bit tired of this good, but large, adventure. I ended up quitting for a time to play Ni no Kuni, and then Portal 1 and 2, and then Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns…. So, in the end, I didn’t end up returning to this game as soon as I planned. And so I decided I may as well at least get the music post over and done with. What a good attitude I have. And so I share with you all my top five songs from Kingdom Hearts 2 (with only one exclusively from Final Mix). Continue reading Top Songs from KH2.5
I recently had the immense pleasure of playing through a truly spectacular RPG, Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. This game excelled in storytelling and characters you could really feel attached to. The graphics were beautiful. And the music, well, it all fit perfectly in this amazing world and served to enhance something that was already truly special. Behold, my top five songs from Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. Continue reading Top Songs from Ni no Kuni
“Quest 64” is not one of the better games out there. Heck, among games that start with Q, it probably doesn’t even rank very high. The gameplay was tedious, the story was nearly nonexistent. And yet, one thing they did right was the music, and this game does have some good songs that are worth sharing. Behold, my top songs from Quest 64! (Before I begin, however, does anyone else think the battle theme for this game is awfully similar to the one from Final Fantasy VII?…) Continue reading Top Songs from Quest 64
One of my favorite series from the olden days was Donkey Kong Country on the SNES, a trilogy that spanned from 1994-1996 (remember back when games from a series were released yearly?). My favorite game of the series, and of the SNES in general, was Donkey Kong Country 2. It was super fun. You got to play as Diddy and Dixie on the island home of the naughty Kremlings. And there were pirates. What could possibly be better than that? Nothing. And now I present you with my top ten songs from one of my favorite games of all time. Continue reading The Top Songs from DKC2
Just recently, I noticed that I had a bunch of posts for top songs that had been sitting around on my computer, feeling quite neglected indeed, so I thought I’d better dust them off and get them posted. One series that needed some musical love is the Donkey Kong Country series on the Super Nintendo. This series sported some awesome gameplay, the best graphics the old SNES had to offer, and some pretty nifty, neato music. That’s right, it was nifty and neato. So behold, my favorite songs from the original Donkey Kong Country! Continue reading The Top Songs from DKC
I had trouble getting into the first Donkey Kong Country Returns on the Wii, but with the release of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, I decided to give the series one, final chance, and I take it all back. Retro Studios has done a wonderful job bringing Donkey Kong back, and the music is just one of the many areas they have succeeded. So below, I have listed my top five songs from the newest Donkey Kong Country on the Wii U. Continue reading Top Songs from DKC: Tropical Freeze
Another one of my lists of top songs, this time listing my top 10 songs of “Chrono Cross” for the PS1. While I believe “Chrono Trigger” was a far better game, it can’t compete with the awesome music of “Chrono Cross”. Enjoy! Continue reading Top Songs from Chrono Cross
Hello again, you blog-readers, you. Time to list my favorite songs from “Chrono Trigger”. I’m not even going to bother with much of an intro because I’m bad at them anyway. Just enjoy the musical joy. Continue reading Top Songs from Chrono Trigger
I’m really losing inspiration for how to begin posts on top songs. Not that I’ve ever been good at it, really. Ahem, well, anyway, today’s post is on the top 10 songs from “Final Fantasy IX”, a game I judged before I even got to know it. But, once I got into it, I realized it was quite a good game indeed, and I found that it had a good number of beautiful and emotional songs, as well. And so, without subjecting you to anymore rambling than necessary, my list, from the least best to the most best… Continue reading Top Songs from FFIX
I recently had the great joy of playing “Final Fantasy VI”, a truly wonderful game, with a great cast of characters, a great plot, and also great music. This game may be from the SNES era, but you don’t need good quality sound to have good music, and this game is proof of that. So below, I have my top ten songs from the game, for your listening pleasure.
10. “Battle to the Death” plays during certain, extra epic boss battles, like when you fight Atma (which is not satisfying to beat when you simply use Vanish and Doom…). And since I’m bad with song descriptions, I’m not going to even try saying anymore than that. Yep.
9. The battle theme for this game, as it is with all “Final Fantasy” games, is awesome. Again, nothing else to say…
8. “The Decisive Battle” is the usual boss theme. It seems like boss themes and battle themes always make it into my top ten lists. Because they’re always awesome-sauce, sauce made with real awesome!
7. “Phantom Forest” plays in the location of the same name, plus in a few other places, as well. I think it’s quite pretty and soothing to listen to, and it gives the place a rather mysterious feel. There, I said a little more this time.
6. “The Veldt” plays in the location of the same name, and I think this is a really fun song, with the drums and the kind of safari sound. Yay!
5. “World of Balance” is the first song I really liked in this game, and it is the song that plays on the world map in the first half of the game. In fact, I believe I heard it in another top songs list a couple years ago, as it sounded very familiar…. And it’s no wonder, as this is a very pretty song that really gives the game a sense of adventure right from the start.
4. “Magitek Research Facility” is a really great song with a good beat. I love it, but I always seem to love songs related to…science places. Yes, science places.
3. I really enjoy “Cyan’s Theme” (which also plays in Doma Castle). It’s actually very pretty, and then becomes more epic a little ways into it. Cyan definitely has the best theme music of all the good characters in the game.
2. And then “Kefka’s Theme” is even better, as villains always have great theme songs, especially when this particular villain is considered to be one of the greatest baddies of all time. This song definitely fits this clownish weirdo quite well.
1. “Slam Shuffle” plays in Zozo (Zozo? Never heard of it.), a weird, sleazy town of thieves and liars. This song is just different, and I can’t really tell you why I love it so much. I just do. Definitely the best song of the game.