Vanille Cosplay: The Shirt

This was a particularly busy year for cosplay, but I have finally done it.  Two costumes in one year.  And I never plan to do that ever, ever again.  Rosalina is done, and now Vanille has been completed, as well.  The last thing to cover is her shirt, and cover it we shall!

First of all, the foundation of any good garb, the fabric.  Vanille’s shirt uses a thin material because it was the best pink material I could find at the store.  Simple as that.  The front and back are four layers each to compensate for this, making the shirt a more than proper thickness.  And though I didn’t use a pattern, it ended up being a pretty simple thing to make.  The back is a simple rectangle, and the front started out as a taller rectangle, which I later cut a curve out of on either side to go around my arms.  I made one layer extra large, so after sewing the first three layers together, I could then place the larger piece on top, fold the edges around, and sew.  This prevented the size of the shirt from changing unexpectedly, which often happens when I fold the sides and sew, as this method has a habit of making garments smaller than I originally planned on.  Unfortunately, the extra layers made everything very thick, which was quite a problem for my machine to sew through.  But it got through like a trooper.

The shape of the front half of the shirt. Ingenious, no? As you can see, the bottom is clearly in need of some good trimming.
The shape of the front half of the shirt. Ingenious, no? As you can see, the bottom is clearly in need of some good trimming.

Next, the strip that goes around the neck was simply a long, thin material I folded several times and sewed.  It turned out quite good, and I’m rather proud of how professional it looks.  Lobster clasps were added to close the neck strap because it’s too small to fit around my head, so I needed to give it the ability to open and close.  As for getting the shirt on and off, one side is held shut by two hidden buttons.  Employing the largest spare buttons I had lying about the house, I painted them pink to match the shirt and sewed them on, and now the shirt stays on perfectly.  Last of all, the shirt was loose on the bottom, so I simply pulled the fabric in on either side and sewed it to make it fit.  Huzzah!

The neck strap, up close and personal.
The neck strap, up close and personal.

I was quite proud that I was able to make a fairly professional shirt completely on my own.  And now, it’s just a matter of waiting for the comicon to try everything on.  I like to wait until the day of the comicon to see what my costume looks like when worn, but from the testing I’ve done so far, I think it’s going to look good.  The shirt and the skirt may look plain on their own, but I think the details are what’s going to really make this costume come together.  I can’t wait!

The completed shirt. It looks like an absolute monstrosity, but I assure you, it's not.
The completed shirt. It looks like an absolute monstrosity, but I assure you, it’s not.

A Four-Layer Duck

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s