I have still been putting off making Rosalina’s actual dress for my third cosplay, as I prefer the smaller commitment and challenge offered by her accessories. With the wand and earrings done, I turned next to her crown and the Luma plushie I wanted to carry around. The crown will have to wait until a latter post, however, as I have run into some rather troubling trouble when it comes to making the round gems, as I apparently used the wrong materials for mold-making. Which I’ll get to in more detail in a post covering said topic. Nevertheless, as I experimented with various types of molds, I have not been idle. No, I have, in fact, been working on my first ever plushie.
While I made two pillows in my Home Economics class, I never made an actual plushie. The first thing I did (after buying some plush material, of course) was find some patterns. I had no trouble at all finding patterns, plus directions, for a Luma plushie on Youtube, so I went about drawing my own based on it. Once I was satisfied by the dimensions and how accurately it mirrored those found online, I made a copy of my pattern with my awesome laser printer. I made any necessary changes to that side of the Luma, and then I cut out my patterns, followed by the fabric.
The directions said to cut out each pattern twice, for a total of four pieces. I was then told to sew each pair of shapes together, which I did by hand. Last time I used my sewing machine, it jammed quite terribly, so I was afraid to use it quite yet. Plus, sometimes it’s more relaxing making something by hand. Once that step was done, I then took the two edges that would go down the front and sewed them together. I nearly forgot to sew it backwards, however, as the little tuft on the top if its head should be on the right side (my right, its left), which would be reversed once I turned the fabric inside out. Thankfully, this mistake was corrected before any sewing on that seam actually began. Phew.
After that, I was told to sew only half of the backside. After this, my little half-made plushie was looking pretty good, especially when I flipped it inside out, or outside in, or whatever you wish to call it. I almost forgot to give my plushie eyes, but luckily I remembered just in time and made a pattern for them. The eyes seemed to line up with the arms, so I used those measurements to get their size. I then cut the fabric, using some black fabric I bought for the main part and some spare white spandex from my Ghirahim cosplay for the white spots. I sewed on the eyes, and while they looked a bit weird, I suppose any way it differs from other Lumas only serves to make it more charming, no? Yes.
Now it was time to stuff it, and stuff it I did. While watching Frozen. Don’t ask my why. Well, you can, but if you do, I’ll probably just shrug. And then you’ll wonder what I said, because shrugs don’t translate well online. Anyway, I started by stuffing the tuft, the arms, and the legs with small bits of fluff, and as I stuffed it, I realized I bought way too much stuffing. Woops. Ignoring this waste of money and space in my abode, I filled that Luma up with soft fluff until he (or she) was quite fat and sewed up its bottom. Which sounds weirder than it is.
While I fear I may have stuffed it a bit too generously, and some stitches look a bit strained, I think it looks pretty cute, regardless of its funky peepers. I do hope those stitches hold, though. But, I’m not messing with it. When something works, I leave it be. It is now on a shelf with my other (store-bought) plushies of Kirby, Knuckles the echidna, and Yoshi. And a random squirrel. And despite being handmade, it really seems to fit right in. Now I have something to snuggle with for next year’s comicon.
A Luminous Duck…It’s Not Bioluminescence, I Just Ate a Lightbulb