I recently had the great joy of playing “Final Fantasy VI”, a truly wonderful game, with a great cast of characters, a great plot, and also great music. This game may be from the SNES era, but you don’t need good quality sound to have good music, and this game is proof of that. So below, I have my top ten songs from the game, for your listening pleasure.
10. “Battle to the Death” plays during certain, extra epic boss battles, like when you fight Atma (which is not satisfying to beat when you simply use Vanish and Doom…). And since I’m bad with song descriptions, I’m not going to even try saying anymore than that. Yep.
9. The battle theme for this game, as it is with all “Final Fantasy” games, is awesome. Again, nothing else to say…
8. “The Decisive Battle” is the usual boss theme. It seems like boss themes and battle themes always make it into my top ten lists. Because they’re always awesome-sauce, sauce made with real awesome!
7. “Phantom Forest” plays in the location of the same name, plus in a few other places, as well. I think it’s quite pretty and soothing to listen to, and it gives the place a rather mysterious feel. There, I said a little more this time.
6. “The Veldt” plays in the location of the same name, and I think this is a really fun song, with the drums and the kind of safari sound. Yay!
5. “World of Balance” is the first song I really liked in this game, and it is the song that plays on the world map in the first half of the game. In fact, I believe I heard it in another top songs list a couple years ago, as it sounded very familiar…. And it’s no wonder, as this is a very pretty song that really gives the game a sense of adventure right from the start.
4. “Magitek Research Facility” is a really great song with a good beat. I love it, but I always seem to love songs related to…science places. Yes, science places.
3. I really enjoy “Cyan’s Theme” (which also plays in Doma Castle). It’s actually very pretty, and then becomes more epic a little ways into it. Cyan definitely has the best theme music of all the good characters in the game.
2. And then “Kefka’s Theme” is even better, as villains always have great theme songs, especially when this particular villain is considered to be one of the greatest baddies of all time. This song definitely fits this clownish weirdo quite well.
1. “Slam Shuffle” plays in Zozo (Zozo? Never heard of it.), a weird, sleazy town of thieves and liars. This song is just different, and I can’t really tell you why I love it so much. I just do. Definitely the best song of the game.